Monday 9 November 2015

Banana, chocolate and walnut waffles



This month's theme for We Should Cocoa is bananas. Bananas and chocolate are one of my favourite combinations so my mind immediately went into overdive with ideas. I've baked cakes, cookies, muffins and cupcakes with this flavour combination. I wanted to do something a little different and my mind turned to breakfast or more specifically brunch. Weekend brunches are sacred in our house as we don't often have time to either be at home or sit and have a leisurely brunch. There are a few recipes that we always come back to for brunch and one of them is waffles. I have a waffle mould and I normally bake my waffles in the oven. However, I've always wanted to have a waffle maker but felt it was too indulgent.  We got married recently so I added it to our wedding gift list and was over the moon when one of J's friends bought it for us. I finally own a waffle maker and it was put to use the day after we received it! We had basic waffles with fruit and maple syrup and it was delicious. 

Waffles made with a waffle maker turn out light and crispy whereas the baked ones taste a little more cake like. This weekend we had time to have a leisurely brunch at home so I started experimenting with recipes and came up with this banana, chocolate and walnut waffles. The waffles were chocolatey with a hint of banana and the walnuts added crunch and texture. I served them with sliced bananas, chocolate chips and maple syrup. I debated about a chocolate sauce but decided that maple syrup would be better. The batter made 9 waffles so I have lots in the freezer to be toasted for breakfast during the week. 

I'm sending this to We Should Cocoa hosted by Choclette from Tin and Thyme. The theme this month is banana which of course has to be paired with chocolate. 


I'm also sending it to Brilliant Breakfasts hosted by Made with Pink. These make for a very filling breakfast especially with the bananas and walnuts. 


It's also going to Cook Blog Share hosted by Kirtsy from Hijacked by Twins. 



Finally to Bake of the week hosted by Helen from Casa Costello.




My new waffle maker! I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top of the batter before cooking. There's way too much batter in this as it was the first one but I learnt quickly after that! 

 Lovely chocolatey waffles with banana and walnuts baked in. 

 served with sliced banana, chocolate chips and maple syrup




Makes 9 large waffles in a waffle maker

240g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 bananas
2 eggs
90mls vegetable oil
150g sour cream
200 mls milk
80g walnuts
sprinkling of chocolate chips

To serve
Sliced banana
Chocolate chips
Maple syrup

  • I used a food processor to get a nice, smooth batter.
  • Place the eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream, milk and whole banana and whole walnuts and blitz gently.
  • Add in the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. 
  • Be careful not to overmix the batter.
  • Allow to sit for a few minutes. 
  • Pre heat the waffle maker. When ready, add the batter but be careful not to put too much or it will spill out. Sprinkle some chocolate chips on top.
  • Cook as per manufacturer's instructions. Mine took about 5 minutes. 
  • Serve warm with sliced banana, chocolate chips and maple syrup. 


12 comments:

  1. These look lovely - I think I need a waffle maker! #bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes please!!! These look sooo good!! I need a waffle machine too :-) thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my waffle maker and these waffles were super delicious!

      Delete
  3. They look so delicious! #bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may need to sit down! THESE ARE GLORIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were absolutely amazing and I still have a few in my freezer!

      Delete
  5. How to make waffles pretty - You have nailed it! Thanks so much for joining in with #bakeoftheweek- Apologies for being so long with the roundup. will be open later after a week of madness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'm so pleased with my new waffle maker :)

      Delete
  6. What an absolutely super duper brunch Ros. Those waffles look gorgeous. Like you, I only have a waffle mould, so I can only imagine what these must be like. Congrats on your new waffle maker and thanks for joining in with WSC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my new waffle maker and have managed to use it quite a few times now.

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!