Monday 12 May 2014

Lemon Drizzle Cake with Lemon Glaze


Lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourite cakes. I bought a petal silicone bundt tin ages ago and this is the first time I got to use it. I love the effect it creates even though I did burn the cake slightly! I used a simple sponge mix with the addition of lemon zest and lemon juice. I poured a lemon syrup over the cake and then made a lemon glaze to go on top. The cake was light and fluffy with a strong lemon flavour. The petal effect was stunning and everyone was suitably impressed. 

I'm entering this to Four Seasons Food hosted by Louisa from Eat Your Veg and Anneli from Delicieux. The theme this month is 'Celebrating Spring' and lemon cakes definitely remind me of spring. 


I'm also sending it to Love Cake hosted by JibberJabberUK. The theme this month is flowers and as this is a flower shaped cake, I hope it qualifies.





 

 ready to go in the oven 

 with lemon syrup 

 I love the petal shapes

 with lemon glaze 

For the cake
250g butter
250g self raising flour
250g caster sugar
4 eggs
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 1/2 lemon 

For the lemon syrup
Juice of 1 lemon 
100g caster sugar

For the lemon glaze
Juice of 1/2 lemon
150g icing sugar

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
  • Add in one egg at at time, mixing well after each addition.
  • Stir in the flour.
  • Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and mix until just combined. 
  • Pour into a bundt tin or baking mould and bake for approximately 45-5o minutes depending on the size of your tin. You may need to cover the cake with foil if it's browning too quickly.
  • Check that it is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre and checking that it comes out clean.
  • In the meantine, make the lemon syrup by mixing the lemon juice with the sugar. Once the cake is out of the oven, turn it out and prick holes all over the top with a fork or skewer. 
  • Pour the syrup all over the cake.
  • Make the lemon glaze by mixing lemon juice and icing sugar. You may need more icing sugar or more lemon juice to achieve the required consistency. Pour liberally over the cake and allow to set. 



10 comments:

  1. Looks lovely. And I love the tin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agbsolutely lovely cake and I love the tin too!! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh me too, I love a lemon drizzle... such a pretty bundt mould. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can't beat a good lemon drizzle!

      Delete
  4. I've got a sunflower shaped silicone tin I've never used in my cupboard. Perhaps this is the month to get it out. The lemon flavours really go well with the petals. Thanks for linking up with this month's Love Cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do bake something with the sunflower tin - I'd love to see it!

      Delete
  5. I love lemon drizzle cake. And I love the way the drizzle on this one looks like little pools in a lemon fountain! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lemon drizzle is one of my all time favourite cakes

      Delete
  6. Oh I do love a lemon drizzle cake and yours sounds deliciously irresistible. Thanks so much for linking up to Four Seasons Food.

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!