Tuesday 25 December 2012

Snowflake Cupcakes


More cupcakes for Christmas. These are pecan, orange and cranberry cupcakes which smell and taste of Christmas. I bought some stencils from Cake International earlier this year and brought this snowflake stencil and blue glitter dust with me on my travels as I knew I wanted to use it this Christmas. The stencils were really easy to use and everyone was impressed with the final result.  The cakes themselves were moist and delicious. They will also go very well with a cream cheese frosting. 

I'm sending these to AlphaBakes as the letter this month is S for Snowflake Cupcakes (and seasonal cupcakes). It's hosted alternately by myself and Caroline from Caroline Makes. There's a lovely prize up for grabs this month (Booze Cakes) and there's still time to enter so send in all your lovely seasonal bakes! 



I'm also sending these to Calendar Cakes hosted by Rachel from Dolly Bakes and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes. The theme is 'Go Crackers for Christmas' 

Merry Christmas Everyone!! 

 fresh from the oven 

 I rolled out a piece of white fondant icing then placed the stencil on top and pressed lightly to get the imprint. I dusted with blue glitter dust and repeated the pattern until most of the fondant was covered. 

 I used a round cookie cutter the size of a cupcake to cut out circles and placed them on top of the cupcakes after brushing some warmed apricot jam on top of the cupcakes. 

 Here they are with the reindeer cupcakes

For the cupcake
Makes 12 cupcakes
2 large eggs
200g caster sugar
100g corn oil
135ml yoghurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Grated zest of 1 orange 
1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
228g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
75g dried cranberries
75g pecans, roughly chopped
  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a large mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar together until light and fluffy.
  • Slowly pour in the oil, a little at a time, beating well after each addition, then repeat the process with the yoghurt and vanilla extract, making sure everything is well combined, and incorporate the orange zest and orange juice at the end.
  • Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add to the batter and beat well. 
  • Finally, fold in the cranberries and nuts gently. 
  • Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them to about 2/3 full. 
  • Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until slightly raised and golden brown. 
  • Allow to cool in their tins for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack to cool completely. 
  • Decorate as described above or with cream cheese frosting. 

10 comments:

  1. These are so awesome Ros, absolutely love how the stencils turned out - they look super professional! Merry Christmas to you, hope you're enjoying all your exciting travels! All the best for the new year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gem - I was really pleased with how they turned out too! Took a while to get done but worth the effort. Merry Christmas to you and your family x

      Delete
  2. pecan, orange and cranberry? Fantastic festive flavours and I love the effect of the stencil- Happy Christmas Ros!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - the flavour combination worked really well.

      Delete
  3. These look so pretty and the pecan, orange and cranberries sound like fantastic flavours. I hope you had a great Christmas and thanks for entering your Cupcakes into Calendar Cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound lovely, and I like the way you've used a stencil to get that pattern - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stencils are excellent! So pretty :) And a great entry for the Alphabakes competition too. I wish I'd read your post earlier as I would have entered my bake! But all of the entries are amazing anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these stencils! There's a new AlphaBakes for January which Caroline is hosting. The letter is "D" - do join in if you can!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!