Thursday 7 June 2012

Flowerpot Cupcakes



Remember the Jubilee Rose cupcakes I baked for a charity bake sale last weekend? Well I made these cute flowerpot cupcakes as well as the event had a garden theme. I first saw them on this website which has really clear step by step photo instructions. The recipes given looked good so I gave them a go and I'm so glad I did! The cupcake and frosting was really easy to make and tasted really good! My cake decorating skills are still amateurish at best and it took me the whole evening to make 9 of these. As before, I gave up and piped the frosting on the remainder of the cupcakes and decorated with sprinkles. Fortunately, these were a huge hit at the bake sale. In fact I sold out of all my cakes and we raised lots of money for charity :) 

I'm entering these to Cupcake Tuesday hosted by Liz from Hoosier Homemade


And to bookmarked recipes hosted by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes as I bookmarked these the minute I saw them! 




 I could only find a 'skin tone' icing and orange icing so I decided to mix the two to get a terracotta like colour 

 place a cupcake upside down on a plate 

 cover the top and sides with chocolate buttercream  

 roll out the icing and cut a large circle 

 place that circle of icing over the top of the cupcake and press gently so that the icing encases the cupcake

 crush some oreo cookies

 turn the cupcake over and spread more frosting on top 

 dip in oreo crumbs to look like "mud" 


 Finally cut a strip of icing and place around the top of the cupcake to resemble a flowerpot

 decorate with wafer daisies (I couldn't face making fondant flowers at this point and I didn't have any leaf cutters) 

 My cupcakes at the bake sale table - Only a few for display as the table was groaning with cakes and bakes! 

 I made some brownies as well on the bottom right of the picture


Recipe from instructable.com

Black Midnight Cupcake

280g plain flour
250g caster sugar
80g cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder  
1 1/4 cup water
170g butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

113g butter
28g cocoa powder
250g icing sugar, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • Place all the ingredients for the cupcake into a large mixer bowl and mix on low - medium speed for a few minutes until well mixed. 
  • Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
  • Scoop into cupcake cases and bake for 18-20 minutes.
  • To make the frosting, mix the butter and cocoa powder in a large mixer bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and continue beating until you get a smooth consistency. 
  • To make the flowerpot cupcakes, see pictorial instructions above. 




31 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm not surprised you sold everything - these look fab and so much fun! I love the idea of crumbled Oreo cookies as earth. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks they were quite fun to make and definitely fun to eat :)

      Delete
  2. Aw super cute! I think the colour match wasn't too far off for the pots and like Susie I'm loving the crumbled Oreos on top - yum, I can just imagine how delicious they tasted! Well done for selling everything, there's nothing more satisfying than coming away empty handed and knowing you've raised so much money for charity - go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite pleased with the final colour. Oreos as you know are my favs - they are so versatile! I baked for 3 days so it was exhausting but well worth it :)

      Delete
  3. They look really lovely - perfect for the summer and perfect for a sale too - glad to hear you made lots of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They were a huge success - shame I couldn't make more as they took hours!

      Delete
  4. I am SO sad that I missed the sale of these as I would have walked off with LOTS of them!! I LOVE the wafer daisies, and the cakes are just so much fun! I think the pots colour was fine too....I feel all caked up! Good for you and your charity.....Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wafer daisies are brilliant - my new fav decoration! I'm quite pleased with the final colour. I would have loved to have made this for your floral tea time treats but I didn't want to make them twice in quick succession as they are so time consuming to make. You can enjoy them now :) x

      Delete
  5. These look so cool - I wondered what the topping was at first; Oreo I see. Lovely little cakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the ever versatile Oreo - I use it a lot :)

      Delete
  6. These look great and I love how you used the oreo's!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG you have excelled yourself with your jubilee baking Ros and what a fab job you have done; I love these as an idea. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did go a little Jubilee baking mad :) xx

      Delete
  8. Adorable Ros, what a fun idea and a delicious way to raise money!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like fun. Can imagine how much hard work you've put into these. The result is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They did take a few hours but it was worth it :)

      Delete
  10. How fun! The end effect is definitely worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The terra-cotta shade that you got for the pot is great Ros! You've inspired me to do some cupcake baking on the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was worried it would be too 'orange-y' I've gone a little cupcake mad recently but they're such fun :)

      Delete
  12. Those flower pot cupcakes are so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love these lovely flower pot cupcakes! Another fabulous cupcakes for a great cause! Bravo Ros! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted to make something special and fitting for the event :)

      Delete
  14. Wow these look lovely! The Oreos make for a really good effect! Will have to try these myself, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how you get on if you try them :)

      Delete
  15. These are fab - what a great idea! Really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving the flowerpots and the little boxes they went in made them look so cute I bet these were a real hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes they were very popular indeed :) I love those boxes too and I'm so glad I found them - I still have a lot left as I could only order in bulk!

      Delete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!