Tuesday 20 March 2012

Mint Oreo Fudge Brownies


The first thing I baked when I got back from America were these amazing Mint oreo fudge brownies. I don't understand why they don't sell Mint Oreo's here - they are amazing! I debated about using these in a cookie or a cupcake but decided a brownie was the best way to use up my precious supply. I adapted the recipe from one I found online on 6 Bittersweets which is a pretty cool blog full of delicious goodies. 

These brownies are probably one of the best I've ever eaten. You can taste the mint clearly and the brownies were fudgy with a crisp top! One of my colleagues took a bite and said "I'm in heaven!".  Another one is still talking about it days later so I think I will have to make another batch with the remaining cookies. If you really like your mint and chocolate combination, I would suggest adding a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the batter. 

As it's an "M" bake, I am also entering these to AlphaBakes hosted by Caroline from Caroline Makes this month and myself on alternate months. 





 melt butter and chocolate...

...until smooth.stir in sugar, salt and vanilla extract. 

 whisk in the eggs one at a time, followed by flour and cocoa powder to create a lovely fudgy batter ...

 I had to test one first of course :) 

 chopped up mint oreo cookies 

 ready to go in the oven

mmmmm......

Recipe adapted from 6 bittersweets

200g butter, chopped into smallish cubes
375g sugar
170g chocolate, roughly chopped
165g flour
80g cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 eggs 
approximately 17 Mint oreo cookies (plus extra to munch on whilst baking), roughly chopped.

  • Preheat the oven to 180C.
  • In a medium sized pan, melt the butter and chocolate.
  • Then whisk in the sugar, salt and vanilla extract. 
  • Continue mixing until you get a smooth mixture then remove from heat and set aside for a few minutes.
  • Whisk in the eggs one at a time and then the flour and cocoa powder until you get a fudgy mixture as shown. 
  • Stir in 12 of the chopped mint oreos, reserving the rest to sprinkle on top.
  • Pour the mixture into a square baking pan and sprinkle the remaining 5 chopped mint oreos on top. 
  • Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes until the top is crisp and the edges are cooked. 
  • Allow to cool in the pan. 
  • Slice and enjoy!



24 comments:

  1. I hope you had a fantastic vacation! I'm sure I would eat half the bag of cookies while waiting for these to bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had a brilliant time :) I did eat a few of the cookies but didn't want to eat them all otherwise I can't bake something else with them!

      Delete
  2. These look great - love chocolate and mint! I think I read somewhere - possibly another blog - that Oreo are opening a UK factory, so maybe we'll get more flavours? Unless that's just wishful thinking of course! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be so cool! I love chocolate and mint too and these oreos have captured the flavour perfectly :)

      Delete
  3. Are you making up for lost baking time whilst you were away? These look great, my dad loves mint chocolate, perhaps I'll make these for him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely! Took about a week to get back into it but I've been on a roll! I'm sure your dad will love these if he likes mint chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Would love to get my hands on some Mint Oreo cookies, then I would definitely make some lovely brownies with them! These brownies look so yummy!
    I've never had the Oreo Mint cookies, but I just know they will be good! Too bad we can't get them here (in the Netherlands) either :-( I think we all should start a petition ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting a petition sounds like a good idea! I know I could have just eaten the cookies on their own but they are so much better in these brownies!

      Delete
  5. OMG. I have to try this. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise you won't regret it :) ps send some over here!

      Delete
  6. I love the green in these brownies! America has so many more treats that we don't have, it is sad! Perhaps one could make mint oreos at home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could make mint oreos at home... now that's an idea :) I love the green too - so pretty!

      Delete
  7. YAY! So glad to see you baking and blogging again :D I'm sorry it took me so long to come and visit your blog again and comment ~ things have been CRAZY for me :(

    These Mint Oreo fudge brownies looks amazing ~ i've never seen mint flavoured Oreos in Melbourne! Sighhh we never get the good flavours lol only the originals ones ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for dropping by even though you've been busy - much appreciated. No need to apologise! These brownies were seriously good. Sadly they don't sell them here either. Guess I'll have to make another trip when I've run out ;P

      Delete
    2. Can you please take me with you next time you go to the States? Or maybe i can meet you there lol

      Delete
  8. Oh wow these look so delicious, you know how much I love Mint Oreo Brownies! so jealous you got to bake some up..but so glad you got to taste the magic that is Mint Oreo! I think we should start a campaign to bring them to the UK! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty sure you'd love these! Yes let's start a campaign! :)

      Delete
  9. I want!!!! These look amazing, and so different. Hubby is off to the US in May so will be adding mint oreos to the little list I'm currently making for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely add mint oreos to the list, what else have you got?

      Delete
  10. It occurs to me that many of my local Reject Shops stock Blueberry Ice Cream flavoured Oreos. I think they'd add either an interesting or horrifying twist on this recipe. In any case, good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of blueberry ice cream flavoured oreos but would love to try some. They may not work so well in these brownies but who knows? I'll wait for you to try :)

      Delete
  11. Wow they sound like the most amazing brownies ever! Would love to try a mint Oreo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, they really were very, very good. The mint oreos smell minty and taste minty :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Ros! I made these for the October's SRC and was blown away by the flavor of these brownies! They're simply the best brownies I've ever had!! Thanks for sharing your recipe!
    Renee - Kudos Kitchen

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!