Wednesday 23 February 2011

Green Tea Chocolate Bundt Cake


This month's We Should Cocoa challenge is tea. Riding high on the (partial) success of my green tea biscuits (which I have yet to blog about) I decided it had to be a green tea and chocolate combination.  I also briefly pondered chocolate and chai tea but as I didn't have any chai tea in the house, I promptly threw that idea out the window.  I got some lovely matcha powder air flown from Japan courtesy of my dad who went on a business trip last year. I love the smell and colour of the tea. I was debating about chocolate cupcakes with a green tea frosting - either white or plain chocolate.  I then came across a recipe for a green tea chocolate bundt cake and knew that I had to make it.  Not least because I also get to use my brand new silicone bundt cake tin which I got last year :) 
The cake had a lovely fragrant smell and it tasted delicious.  The sponge was light and you could really taste the green tea even through the chocolate which is fairly strong.  Everyone really enjoyed the cake and I'd definitely make this again. 


 cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy 

 chocolate and milk mixture 

 adding green tea powder - I love the vibrant green colour! 

 green tea batter

 chocolate batter 

 my new bundt cake pan

 marbling the batter 

 fresh from the oven

 the cake was still hot when I added the icing sugar as I was impatient! It still tasted good though :) 

 

220g self raising flour
240g butter
250g sugar
6 eggs - separated
113g chocolate
4 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoon green tea powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt


  • Preheat the oven to 180C. 
  • Melt the chocolate with the milk and set aside. 
  • Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry and set aside. 
  • Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy as shown.
  • Add in the egg yolks, one at a time until well mixed. 
  • Fold in the sifted flour and salt and mix well. 
  • Add vanilla essence.
  • Fold in the egg whites and mix until well incorporated.
  • Divide the batter evenly into 2. 
  • Add chocolate mixture into one and mix well.
  • Sift the green tea powder into the other and mix well.
  • Spoon batter alternately into the bundt pan.
  • Bake for about 50-55mins until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
  • Cool cake in the tin for about 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely on a wire rack. 
  • Sift on icing sugar generously if desired. (tip: wait until cake is completely cool!)

10 comments:

  1. Green tea and chocolate sounds like a new combination to me. I wonder how how do they taste being together in this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous looking cake! The green is so vibrant aganist the chocolate. It's great that you've found a cake that you'd bake again. A light sponge cakes with a twist...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cake, looks perfect. I love the colours too. Thanks for taking part in this months challenge ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh wow i cant imagine what thsi wouldbe like, it looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow... how amazing does this look? It looks like something you'd see in a sci-fi movie before it's baked but then looks stunning as a cake... well done... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I've never really tried chocolate and green tea together but it sounds like a wonderful combination! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so pretty, and it sounds very interesting! I'm curious about the chocolate/green tea combination...would love to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job, that green tea in there is so pretty. I've got to get myself a bundt pan.
    Have a great weekend!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks yummy :) I love green tea and chocolate combinations, and I just used a bundt tin too! They are so cooool

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't know how I managed to miss this post - your cake looks wonderful. Matcha and chocolate are such a great flavour combination and I think, look stunning. I'm very envious of your silicone bundt mould - I'm now coveting it ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I've had to turn word verification back on as I've had a lot of problem with spam lately, Apologies! Please, please do leave a comment - I appreciate every one of them and will reply to all of them. Thanks!